Monday, January 10, 2011

Second Mushroom Watercolor

When I started my second watercolor mushroom, I was inspired to rotate it 90 degrees, giving more drama to the small, fragile-looking mushroom I'd chosen to paint.

This little yellow mushroom was growing in Armstrong Woods. The fallen needles and sorrel leaves give an idea of its size.

The Paul Stamets quote I chose for this one is, Because ectomycorrhizal mycelium grows beyond the plant’s roots, it brings distant nutrients & moisture to the host plant, extending the absorption zone well beyond the root structure. The mycelium dramatically increases the plant’s ingestion of nutrients, nitrogenous compounds, & essential elements (phosphorous, copper, & zinc) as it decomposes surrounding debris.

How amazing is that! All those trees I love so much, continuously nourished by fungi I notice only during their brief "fruiting"!

This painting is now hanging with 6 other mushroom watercolors at Sebastopol Gallery. This rotation runs through February 27. I also have there a new chapbook of poems that includes 3 mushroom poems & 4 mushroom painting reproductions.

I continue to study mushrooms, in guidebooks & Stamets Mycelium Running, along the bikepath, in friends' yards, in the woods & fields, & at my drawing table.

My sense of mystery & gratitude deepens....

No comments:

Post a Comment